Monday, May 18, 2009

Once You Go Mac . . .

My computer crashed last week.  I came into my office and the black screen read, "Operating System Not Found".  I wasn't surprised; I had a feeling that it was going to crash soon (the smoke and the burning smell was not my first clue, I had several throughout the last few weeks).

I'm not sure why, but I have always been a PC fan.  Someone back in 1994 recommended to me that I buy a Gateway2000 (that's what Gateway was called until 1999/2000) so ever since I have owned either a Gateway or a Dell.  Until last week!  Believe it or not, I bought an Apple (not the one that falls from a tree, but the kind that sits on my desk and does anything that I want WITHOUT LOCKING UP, NEEDING TO BE RESTARTED OR CAUSING ME TO SERIOUSLY DOUBT THE EXISTENCE OF GOD! 

As you can probably tell, I'm a little emotional from the years of frustrating reboots, computer stores that either did not know how to fix my ailing computer or had to order a part from overseas and was hopeful to get the part in "soon".  In the meantime, the store would recover as much information as possible from my computer and place it on several DVDs.  If that's not all, my emotional scarring also comes from hours of conversation with people in India who may know a lot about computers but do not know enough English to explain it to me.

Even after all of that, I still would have never considered purchasing an Apple computer had it not been for Bob Chambers (who suddenly knows everything there is to know about an Apple since he now has one behind the Tech Console at church), T.J. Long Jr. (who is just plain arrogant about his Apple) and Jeff Clark (who basically promised that if I bought an Apple it would make me coffee in the morning - I think he meant to say tea!).  

Anyway!  I love it.  It is fast, powerful, lightweight, does everything that I need it to do and even seems to know what I'm thinking (very intuitive).  Needless to say, I'm happy.  I think maybe the saying is true - once you go Mac . . . you never go back.

We'll see. 

3 comments:

  1. Just wait, with your personality, you'll be arrogant just like me about your Mac in no time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah... this was fun to read. Did you get a Mac laptop Scott?

    I can't tell you how many expletives have left my mouth, words I would never dare speak out loud in the presence of anyone... words and phrases I learned on fishing docks 30 years ago seems to come out like a geyser when "all of a sudden, everything is gone" computer locks up, or the awful 'blue screen' fatal error exception.

    I slowly with ape-like brain learned that at any given point in time, a computer session could end without warning. So I started taking a far different approach to the failing Microsoft operation systems. I will not put anything of any importance on a computer, rather I have completely turned "web-based" or "browser-based".

    Thanks for the post, for the laughs. I'm sure we've both repented at things we said to a Windows based computer. Good luck with the mac!!

    ~ old suite matey Giff

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Rebecca and I'm a PC ... error error... crash

    ReplyDelete