Monday, January 10, 2011

What Do You Need To Change?


"What I do with what I've been given says a lot about who I am and where I'm going."

That's tough to accept isn't it? I know it has been for me. For years, I looked at my money and possessions as being separate from my relationship with God. In other words, as long as I "did my best" to give as "what I could", then God was pleased. Not anymore! I've learned that generosity is one of the greatest indicators of my spiritual health. Now, that doesn't mean that if I'm generous, I'm spiritually healthy. It does mean, however, that if I'm spiritually healthy, I will be generous.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been more stingy that I thought. In fact, I've got a long ways to go toward being generous. So, here are a few things that I've done to help move toward generosity and away from the grip of greed.

1. Consistent giving that affects my lifestyle. For my family it means automated giving. This helps because I do not want to be an emotional giver. I want to give whether I feel like it or not. So, Lana and I decided on a specific amount and asked our bank to send a check to Forest Park every week. It works for us.

2. Being sensitive to God's promptings. When a need arises and I am able to help meet the need, I remain sensitive to God's Spirit and ask, "How can I help?" I do not meet every need; there are too many needs and I do not have enough resources. But, I try to listen carefully to where I can assist and then, when possible, I go for it.

3. Downsizing material dreams. I'm learning to be content with what I have, rather than allowing what I don't have to fuel discontent. In other words, my van is ok, it really is! Plus, by not getting so upset over what I don't have, I reduce stress and free up resources to help in other areas.

This is where I am and where I'm going.

I will love to know what you need to change. Remember, we'll all in this together.

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment